Traditional 7-Layer Salad
You can make your salad more kid-friendly by switching canned sweet corn, shredded carrots, drained pickled beets or cherry tomatoes for some of the ingredients that might not be favorites at your house.
Experiment with different combinations and you will soon find a recipe that will become traditional at your house!
- 1 bag of pre-cut salad greens
- 1 cup of celery
- 1 cup of onions - red onions are sweeter and pretty as well
- 1 cup of sliced green pepper
- 5 slices of bacon - cooked, drained and crumbled (you can substitute turkey bacon or bacon-flavored soy bits)
- 1 small bag of frozen green peas - defrosted
- 1 pint of mayonnaise
- 4 oz. of shredded cheese - we like the Colby-Jack combo
- Start by putting the greens at the bottom of your bowl or pan. Spread them out to the sides.
- In order, place the celery, onions, green pepper, bacon and peas in layers like a parfait. Make sure you can see each layer through the side of the bowl or pan.
- Gently spread the mayonnaise over the peas.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the top.
- Let it all rest in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours so the flavors can mix.