We went to the deli counter and asked for two thick slices of ham that
would weigh about 1/4 pound. The deli lady was so good at her job she was
able to cut two slices that weighed 0.26 pound, just 1/100th of a pound
more than we needed.
- 1/4 pound of honey-baked or turkey ham – diced into cubes
cup of onions - very finely chopped
- 1/2 cup of celery – very finely chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons of canola mayonnaise
- Fresh ground pepper
- Whole grain bread
- A little adult help
- Measuring cups and spoons
- A medium-sized bowl
- A large spoon
- A plate
- A Teddy Bear or Gingerbread Man cookie cutter
- Pour the ham, onions and celery into the bowl.
a couple of tablespoons of mayonnaise into the bowl and mix. If the
salad seems dry, add a little more mayo until all the ingredients are
- Lay a piece of bread on the plate and spread
some salad around in the center until it is about ½ thick. You don't
really need to go all the way to the edges because you'll be cutting
that bread off.
- Add another piece of bread on top to form a sandwich.
your cookie cutter on top of the sandwich and press down steadily until
you feel the cutter scraping against the plate.
- Remove the extra bread from around the cookie cutter then pop your Teddy Bear out onto the plate.
- Place two grapes on top for ears. Add two raisins for eyes and another for a nose. There's your Teddy!