Mardi Gras is the perfect time to dress up and wear flamboyant masks.
Dig into your craft box and pull out all your feathers, sequins and
beads because the more the better on these lovely masks.
- Heavy construction paper
- Glue sticks or bottled glue
- Wooden skewers or craft sticks
- Transparent tape
- A pencil
- A pair of scissors
- A hole punch
- A little help from an adult or older sibling
- Fold a piece of heavy construction paper in half.
- Put the heel of your hand closest to the fold.
- Using the pencil, draw around your fingers.
- While the paper is still folded, cut along the line you just drew.
- Open up your mask and figure out which side you would like up.
- Make a decision where you would like the eye holes to be.
- Use the punch to make starter holes for your eyes.
- You can use the scissors or the punch to enlarge the holes.
- Lay the mask flat. Choose which side the stick to hold the mask up will be on.
- You might need some help pushing the pointy end of the skewer through the paper. Weave the skewer in and out of the paper.
- Cut the very tip off the skewer and put tape over it.
- Add some other pieces of tape along the skewer so it doesn't slide out of the paper.
- If you're using a craft stick, just put a little glue on one of sticks and place it on the mask. You can also add tape to make sure it stays in place.
- Lay you mask down with the best looking side up.
- Glue your decorations on in whatever design suits you best!