This makes a large cake big enough for a party of 8-10 or maybe more if
the guests are all kids. It would be great for an April Fools' party
but it can also make an appearance at a birthday party any time of
- Cooking Spray
- 3 pounds of lean ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 cup of ketchup
- 2/3 cup of bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 cup of onions – finely chopped
- 2/3 cup of carrots – finely chopped
- 1/2 cup of dill pickle – chopped
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- 4 eggs – slightly beaten
- 4 cherry tomatoes - cut in half
- Some more ketchup for the filling and the writing on top
- Grandma's Mashed Potatoes
- A large bowl
- A large spoon
- 2 -10 inch round cake pans
- Measuring cups and spoons
- A sandwich-sized zipper bag
- Hot pads or mitts
- A large serving plate
- A butter knife or icing spatula
- Adult help
- Peel and quarter the potatoes and start them boiling. They will take about 45 minutes to cook.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray the inside of the cake pans and set aside.
- Place the ground meat in the bowl.
- Put in the ketchup, breadcrumbs, onions, carrots, pickle, mustard, garlic and the eggs.
- Mix with the large spoon or better yet, with your hands.
- Divide the meatloaf makings in half and fill both pans. Wash your hands well.
- Bake the meat loaves for 35 to 40 minutes or until they begin to get a nice brown crust.
- When the meat loaves comes out of the oven have mom help you turn one of them out onto the serving plate. They will be very hot, so give mom room to work.
- Spread ketchup on that meatloaf, then ask mom to please help position the other meatloaf on top. You can keep the meatloaf warm in the oven while you make the mashed potatoes.
- When the potatoes are whipped, use them like icing to cover the top and sides of the meatloaf. Belle found that using her hands wouldn't tear the crust off the meatloaf.
- Arrange the tomato halves around the edge of the "cake" like cherries.
- Put about 3 tablespoons of ketchup in the zipper bag. Cut a small hole in on of the bottom corners and write "April Fools" or any wacky message you want.