The folks at Kernel Season's gave us a challenge to use their popcorn seasonings in a recipe.
We came up with this Southwestern Frittata and used their Nacho Cheddar flavor to add some extra kick.
a frittata is finished in the broiler but we choose to finish it in the
microwave to avoid burnt fingers or melted pan handles.
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup of diced green, red or orange pepper
- 1/4 cup of onion - thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon Kernel Season's Nacho Cheddar Popcorn Topping
- 1/4 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- 4-5 tablespoons of olive oil
- A dash of salt and pepper
- 1/8 cup of cilantro - minced as garnish
- A skillet
- A bowl
- A whisk or fork
- A spatula
- A serving plate
- Adult help
- Warm the skillet for about 20 seconds and pour in the olive oil.
- Add the onions and sauté until they are soft.
- Meanwhile, crack the eggs and beat gently. Add the "Kernel Seasons" and mix.
- Wash your hands after working with the raw eggs.
- Add the eggs and peppers to the onions. Use the spatula to move the cooking eggs around to make sure they are cooking evenly.
- When the eggs become solid, ask for adult help to transfer the eggs to a serving plate.
- Sprinkle on the cheese and pop into the microwave for about 10-20 seconds or until the cheese is melted. Each microwave is different so keep an eye on your dish.
- Sprinkle a little cilantro around the edges for a festive touch. Cut the frittata into wedges like pizza and serve.