This recipe is adapted from one by our friends at The Jalapeno Cafe.
They have a fun site with cookbooks and links to buy chilies and other
spicy food products. You can even see a movie of their lizard.
We made a vegan version of the recipe by substituting soy milk and margarine. It came out yummy!
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup blue corn meal
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of soy milk or regular milk
- 1/4 cup of margarine or butter - melted
- Cupcake liners
- A large bowl
- A small bowl
- A large spoon
- A whisk or fork
- Muffin pan
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Hot pads or mitts
- Adult help
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Put a cupcake liner in each cup of the muffin pan.
- In the large bowl, stir together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In the other bowl mix the eggs, milk and butter or margarine until well blended.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients and stir just enough to moisten.
- Spoon or pour the batter into the cupcake liners - about 1/2 full. SPATULATTA TIP: Have your adult helper pour some to the batter into a measuring cup with a spout. You will have better control pouring the batter into the liners.
- Put the muffins into the oven and bake 18 to 20 minutes until the tops get brown.
- Let the muffins cool a little before removing them from the pan. Serve with honey and butter or margarine.