Before there were little tablets you bought at the store, eggs
were dyed using various vegetables or vegetable skins. It's
not quick, it's not easy but it is fun and interesting!
- Your choice of vegetable
(Red onion skins, fresh beets or raspberries make RED
Yellow onion skins make ORANGE
Ground turmeric makes YELLOW
Spinach leaves make PALE GREEN
Red cabbage leaves make BLUE)
- White vinegar
- A non-porcelain pot (porcelain with take the dye)
- Lay your eggs in a single layer in the pot.
- Add the vegetable for the color you want. Don't scrimp
because it takes a lot of vegetables to dye a few eggs. For
example, it may take a whole head of cabbage for just 6 eggs.
- Pour in water until the eggs and vegetables are covered. You
don't want too much extra water because the dye won't
be strong enough.
- Add about a teaspoon of vinegar.
- Bring the water to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for
- Remove the eggs from the pot. If you want your eggs to darker
shade, put them back into the pot with the dye and let them
stand in the refrigerator overnight.