Arugula, AKA rocket, has a spicy tang to it. So we mixed those leaves
with mild flavored lettuce. We used the Deer Tongue variety that
happened to be growing right next to the arugula in Miss Gaylon's
- Cherry tomatoes
- A wedge of Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 1/4 cup of Balsamic vinegar
- A pinch of salt
- Pepper - freshly ground is best
- Liquid measuring cup
- A salad spinner or paper towels
- A cheese slicer - the flat kind with a slot in it
- A whisk
- Salad tongs
- Arrange the arugula and the lettuce on a plate.
- Pile the cherry tomatoes in the center.
- Draw the cheese slicer across the wedge of Parmesan cheese.
A thin slice of cheese will come out of the slot. This is called
"shaving" the cheese.
- Pour 1/4 cup of olive oil into the measuring cup. Follow it
with 1/4 cup of Balsamic vinegar.
- Add the salt and pepper.
- Use your whisk to mix this dressing well.
- Drizzle the dressing over the greens and serve.