Black eyed Peas and Greens
Black-eyed peas are eaten in a number of different cuisines.
This is the way to make them Middle Eastern style.
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/2 cup of red onion - chopped
- 2 big garlic cloves - minced
- 1 can of black-eyed peas - drained
- 1/8 cup of water
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups fresh spinach - loosely packed
- Measuring cups and spoons
- A fry pan
- A wooden spoon
- A little adult help
- Start by turning on the heat and adding the olive oil to the
pan. Spread the oil evenly around the pan.
- When the oil is warmed, add the red onion and garlic. Sauté
the vegetables until the onions are semi-transparent. Keep stirring
them so they will be evenly cooked.
- Add the black-eyed peas, the water and the crushed red pepper.
The amount of pepper you put in this dish is up to you. You
can skip it totally if you want but this tiny hint of spice
gives the dish a little zing!
- When the black-eyed peas are warmed through, add the vinegar
and then the spinach. Stir until the spinach "wilts"
which means it will get soft and slightly darker in color.
- Spoon them up and dig in.
Products you might like...