We used organic blue food coloring. We think the blue was made from
blueberries because it was kind of purple but it matched the color of
the blueberries perfectly so it made the trifle look really cool.
We didn't find organic gum or organic jawbreakers but if you do, let us know.
- 1 box of organic white cake mix
- 1 pint of Organic Valley heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons of powdered sugar
- 1 box of organic pudding mix
- 1 1/2 pints of organic blueberries
- 10 vanilla waffers
- Food coloring
- 3 sticks of cinnamon gum
- 3 jawbreakers
- 3 mini-umbrellas
- Adult help
- A 9 by 13 inch cake pan
- A mixer
- A trifle bowl or clear glass bowl
- A large spoon
- A medium-sized bowl
- A small bowl
- A quart-size zipper bag
- A rolling pin
- A spatula
- Make the cake according to the directions on the box and pour it in the cake pan. Bake according to directions.
- When the cake is baked, take it out of the oven and let it completely cool. Then cut into 1 inch cubes.
- Make the pudding according to the directions on the box and let it cool as well.
the cream with the mixer, adding the powdered sugar a little at a time
until the whipped cream stands up in peaks when you lift the mixer
- Put about 1/3 of the pudding into the small bowl and set it to the side.
- Mix the remaining pudding with the whipped cream.
- Arrange the cake squares in the bottom of the trifle dish. Then spoon in a layer of pudding/cream.
- Sprinkle half the blueberries on top of this layer, especially near the edges so they will be like bubbles in the ocean.
- Add another layer of cake, then pudding/cream, then the other half of the blueberries.
- The top layer will be a little different. This time it will be cake, then pudding/cream. No blueberries this time.
- Mix a few drops of blue food coloring into pudding in the small bowl.
- Spread this blue pudding over half of the top of the trifle. This will be the "sea."
- Put the trifle into the refrigerator so the flavors will mingle.
the vanilla wafers into the zipper bag, push the air out and close the
bag. Use the rolling pin to crush the vanilla wafers into "sand."
before serving, sprinkle the sand on the part of the trifle top that
isn't blue. This is your beach. Make the wavy edge where the "sand"
meets the "sea."
- Warm up the gum in your hand before trying to bend it. Bend 1/3 of the gum up so it looks like a lounge chair.
- Arrange your lounge chairs, umbrellas and jawbreaker "beach balls" on the sandy beach
- When it comes time to eat the trifle "dive deep" to make sure you bring up cake and blueberries from the depths of your ocean.