This is the recipe that we made when we did the live presentation
at the Green City Market in Chicago. We made a Vegan version as
well and the list of substitutions is at the bottom of the page.
The secret to this recipe is using The Spice House Red
and Black Seasoning and Garlic Powder. We used a lot on
both the chicken breast and the tofu in the Vegan version,
since that was the only spices in the chowder.
- 1 boneless chicken breast - grilled or broiled with
plenty of spices
- 3 strips of bacon
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/2 cup of onion
- 1/3 cup of celery
- 1/4 cup of carrots
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups of corn - cut off the cob or canned
- 2 tablespoons of roasted red sweet pepper - chopped
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 1/2 cup of milk
- A microwave oven
- Measuring cups and spoons
- A soup pot
- A plate
- 2 pieces of paper towel
- A large spoon
- Start by covering a plate with a paper towel. Lay
your three strips of bacon out on the towel so they
are not touching each other. Cover with another paper
- Put the plate with the bacon into the microwave and
cook for 3 minutes. If the bacon isn't crisp you may
have to cook it a little more. When it comes out of
the microwave the plate will be very hot. Put it on
the counter and carefully pull off the top layer of
paper towel. Set the place aside and let the bacon cool.
- Cut the chicken into cubes. You may need some help
from an older family member.
- Next, pour some oil into the bottom of your pot.
- Add the onion, celery, garlic and carrots. Sauté
the vegetables, over medium heat, until the onions are
translucent - which means they are slightly see-through.
- Gently pour the chicken broth over the vegetables.
- Then add the corn and roasted red pepper.
- Crumble the bacon and put it into the soup as well.
- Cook on medium-high heat until bubbles start to form
on the surface of the soup. When that happens turn down
the heat to medium low.
- "Simmer" the soup - that means slow cook
it without it coming to a boil - for about 20 minutes.
This is a soup is quick because most of the ingredients
- Finally, we're going to make some "thickening."
Put the flour and milk into a cup and stir until they
are smooth. Slowly pour the thickening into the soup
while stirring constantly. You might need an extra hand,
so remember please and thank you make life go a lot
Here's our Vegan wheat-free version of the chowder.
- We used tofu instead chicken. - We took a chuck of extra firm tofu out of the package
and cut it through the middle so we had two big flat
pieces. We put it on a piece of aluminum foil on a cookie
sheet. We shook Red and Black Seasoning on one side
and and popped it into the broiler until the edges started
to get brown. We took the tofu out of the broiler and
- We substituted tofu bacon for bacon. - We cooked it according to the directions on the package.
- We used Imagine Organic No-Chicken broth instead of
- We added 1 teaspoon of turmeric to give the soup a
satisfying yellow color.
- We used 2 tablespoons of corn starch instead of flour.