We love this dish but then again we love anything with garlic! If you steam the beans slightly, they will have a wonderful little crunch when you bite into them.
(Makes 6-8 servings)
- 1 pound of green beans
- 3 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 1-2 cloves of garlic
- A butter knife
- A sharp knife or mini food processor
- A frying pan
- A long handled wooden spoon
- Oven mitts or pot holders
- Cling wrap and a large glass or pottery bowl, if you're steaming the beans in the microwave OR a pot and steamer insert.
- Wash the beans and trim the ends off.
- Steam or boil the beans. About 7 minutes or until just tender. We did them in the microwave. We put them in a large glass boil, added a cup of water and covered them with cling wrap. It still took about 7 minutes.
- While the beans are steaming mince the garlic. We used a mini food processor but if you don't have one here's a great place to get Dad involved. Remember the word "please" can make cooking and life in general go a lot smoother.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan.
- Sauté the garlic in the butter until the you can smell that great garlic aroma.
- When the beans are done, you'll need to drain the water off. Be careful of the steam - it will be very hot. This is a good place to ask for help.
- After the beans are drained, put them into the frying pan and swirl them around gently until they are coated with the garlic butter or oil.