This gift has all the ingredients for making a tasty, hot spiced cider: the cider, a spice sachet and a little card with the directions. When we went shopping be looked for a clear bottle of cider with an easy to remove label.
(Makes 8 servings)
- 1/2 gallon bottle of apple cider
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon of whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon of whole allspice
- Cheese cloth
- Kitchen twine
- Remove the label from the bottle of cider.
- Lay out the cheese cloth and cut out a 10" square.
- Place the cinnamon sticks, cloves and allspice in the middle of the cheesecloth square.
- Gather the corners of the square up so that it makes a pouch for the spices. Hold the corners together with one hand while the other hand grasps the bundle of spices and gives it a gentle twist.
- The next step is best when two people work together. While you hold the cheesecloth bag with the opening twisted,, ask your brother or cousin to tie the kitchen twine around it, just above the spices. Tell them to please tie it tight, with a good strong knot because you want the spices to stay in the bag. This is important because the bag will be put into the pot while the cider is heating. Don't use ribbon or colored twine to tie the bag. The dye used to color the ribbon might contain something you wouldn't want to put in your mouth.
- Next, grasp the top of the bag, with your fingers around the twine, letting the loose cheese cloth stick up. Cut the extra cheese cloth about two inches away from twine. Trim the edges so it looks neat.
- Print out the directions and trim the paper to the size of a gift tag.
- Punch a hole in the top left corner of the paper and slip it onto a second piece of twine.
- Use the twine to tie the spice sachet to the neck of the bottle of cider.
Directions to print on the card:
Drop this magic bag
into a pot of simmering
apple cider. Pour into
mugs and stir with a
cinnamon stick. Enjoy!