- 3 big ripe tomatoes
- 4 balls of fresh buffalo Mozzarella cheese
- 12 basil leaves
- Olive oil - we used extra virgin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- An adult helper to cut the tomatoes
- Have an adult slice the tomatoes. Ripe tomatoes can be difficult to cut because of the difference in texture between the tough skin and the softer inside. Plus, the round shape of the tomato makes it way too easy for a sharp knife to just slide off and possibly cut you instead.
- Meanwhile, you can cut the Mozzarella with a butter knife.
- Arrange the tomato slices and slices of cheese on plate.
- Place the basil leaves in a pretty design.
- Drizzle a little oil over the salad using a zigzag motion.
- Sprinkle on a little salt and a little pepper.
- Your salad, in the colors of the Italian flag, is done!