We used our Heart-in-Heart cookie cutter set for this recipe. You can find a set for your kitchen in our shop.
In the video, we have already prepared and chilled our cookie dough.
- 1 1/2 sticks of butter - softened
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups of flour and a little extra for rolling the cookies out
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- Prepared icing in a tub
or black icing in the little tube
- Red food coloring
- Measuring cups and spoons
- A mixer
- A rubber spatula
- A flexible metal spatula - the kind you turn pancakes with
- A large heart-shaped cookie cutter and a smaller heart-shaped cookie cutter that will fit inside it
- A rolling pin
- 2-3 cookie sheets
- Plastic wrap
- A little adult help
- Put the butter and sugar in a bowl and "cream"
them together. Creaming butter and sugar means to beat them together
until they are light lemon- colored and very smooth.
- Next add the eggs and vanilla then beat again.
add the 2 1/2 cups of flour, the baking powder and the salt. Mix it all
together. As you mix, the cookie dough will start to get stiff. Make
sure you scrape all the flour from the sides of the bowl and mix it in
- Remove 2/3 of the cookie dough from the
mixing bowl. Set it aside.
- Next, you'll color the remaining dough red.
Use about 6 drops of red food coloring to start. Add more drops, a few
at a time, until you get a bright red dough.
- From here on, always work with the white
dough first, then a red dough so you don't get red into the white
dough. Using your hands, form the cookie dough into balls, wrap them in
plastic and put them into the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- When the cookie dough has chilled, take it out of the refrigerator.
the oven to 375 degrees.
- Lay out sheets of plastic wrap on the counter.
This will make clean-up a lot easier.
- Sprinkle a little flour on your rolling pin and on the counter.
- Starting with the white dough, roll the cookie dough out until it is 1/8 of an inch thick.
- Dip your cookie cutters into flour and gently shake most of it off.
Use the large cutter to make the white hearts and the small cutter to make the red hearts.
the hearts out on the cookie sheet one layer thick. Don't stack them up
- Bake at 375 degrees for 7-9 minutes or until the cookies are firm but not brown.
- Take them out of the oven and cool them on the cookie sheet. Be patient!
the cookies are cool, put a dab of icing on the back of each red heart
and fasten it to the middle of a white heart. You can write your
Valentine's name on the white cookie with red or black icing.
Products you might like...